Junior Fertility Nurse/Midwife role
Summary of Role
The key objective of the Junior Fertility Nurse/Midwife role is to work as a key part of a multidisciplinary IVF team to provide excellent patient care for individuals and couples in all aspects of fertility treatment. Patient care must be the priority of every RGN/RM working in the Sims Clinic. The patient must be at the centre of everything the Fertility Nurse does.
The role holder must achieve excellence in patient care, investigation consultation, scheduling of treatment, phlebotomy, ultrasound scanning, pre and post-operative care and telephone counselling.
The following key attributes should be demonstrated:
- Active Listening
- Good Non-verbal communication
- Clarity and concision
Educational / Registration Requirements/Professional Experience Academic/Professional Qualifications
- Qualified Registered Nurse and/or Qualified Registered Midwife
- Current NMBI Registration
- 2 Years post registration experience ideally in women’s health
- Fluency in English language – Advanced level - written and verbal
Clinical / Technical Competencies
Over the training period of 24 months, the Junior Fertility Nurse/Midwife is required to attain competence in the following procedures/techniques.
[The Training Log Book will detail each level of competency required]
- Competent in the use of Microsoft office
- Competent in all aspects of patient databases.
- Understands EU Cell and Tissue Directive and the clinic responsibility regarding screening couples.
- Data Protection/Confidentiality – understands and takes personal responsibility by following established policies and procedures
- Obtaining Consent – understands and takes personal responsibility by following established policies and procedures
Infection Control /Health and Safety
- Hand Hygiene
- Health and Safety
- Manual Handling
- Uniform and Grooming Standards
- Clinical Waste Management
- Theatre Cleaning
- Managing OHSS
- Care of a Couple before during and after and IUI
- Care of a Couple before, during and after Embryo Transfer
- Care of Couple Before, During and After Egg Collection
- Performing an IUI procedure
- Drug management in Theatre
- Semen Collection
- Care of a Sick patient
- Care of a patient undergoing Intralipid/IVIG infusions
- Emergency procedures
- Scheduling an IUI/TSI cycle
- Scheduling an FET cycle
- Scheduling an IVF cycle
- Scheduling ZFB/ERA procedures
- Understanding all IVF meds and side effects
- Investigation Consultation
- Understand all available tests and treatments
Telephone Counselling and Support
- Competent in providing clear and concise feedback and education to patients by telephone.
- Ability to deliver information in a constructive and sympathetic manner
- Understands and follows established telephone process and procedures
- Ultrasound scanning – assessment scans
- Ultrasound scanning – follicular tracking
- Ultrasound scanning – trigger for egg collection/embryo transfer
- Documenting Blood results
- Understands cycle specific hormones
- Reporting pregnancy results
- Phlebotomy/ Cannulation
Key Behavioural Competencies
- Acts with honesty and integrity at all times
- Has a realistic sense of self and impact on others
- Demonstrates patience and perspective in dealing with difficult situations
- Accepts ownership of role and accepts accountability of role objectives
Patient Care/Customer Service
- Demonstrates an ability to deliver excellence in standards of service to patients/clients
- Presents a caring, engaging and positive manner with patients/clients
- Demonstrates an ability to obtain a clear understanding of patient/client needs
- Lets patient/client know he/she is willing to work with them to achieve best outcome
- Works co-operatively and effectively with colleagues from own and other departments with different skills and objectives to achieve best outcome.
- Listens and respects others points of view.
- Open to learning and passing on better ways of doing things.
- Open to new ideas with an ability to follow and implement protocols and procedures and clinic initiatives with his/her clinic colleagues.
Attention to Detail
- Ensures that one’s own and others’ work and information are complete and accurate
- Follows required procedures to ensure high quality of work
- Verifies information.
Carefully reviews and checks the accuracy of information provided by others
- Identifies what needs to be done and takes action before being asked or the situation requires it.
- Seeks out others involved in a situation to learn their perspectives.
- Takes independent action to change the direction of events.
- Demonstrates support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness
- Supporting and implementing organizational change
- Helping others to successfully manage organizational change.
Terms and Conditions of Employments
37.5 hours – working 8 hour day between the core hours of 7:00 and 18:00, Monday to Friday. Occasional weekend required
Salary and Benefits Basic Salary
- Salary scale - €32,000 to €46,000 (staring point of scale is commensurate with experience)
- Salary progression over the 24 month period of training to reach a maximum of €46,000 on successful completion of the training period
Physical requirements of the role of the role Theatre/Recovery
- Moving/Pushing patient trolleys
- Removing/reattaching end of gynae bed
- On feet for most of shift including up and down the stairs multiple times
- Bending over patients for phlebotomy and cannulation
- Sitting to standing frequently
- Sitting operating scan machine for long periods
- Bending over patients for phlebotomy
- Sitting at computer screen
- Sitting desk based for long periods
- Up and down stairs regularly
- Leaning over patients for phlebotomy
- Physically capable to carry out duties of the role
Non Clinical Area
- Staff should be clean, neat and tidy
- Wearing appropriate uniform and name badge
- Uniform including shoe wear should fit appropriately
- Hair tied up
- Nails trimmed and no nail varnish or acrylic nails
- No jewelry from elbow except a plain band
- No long sleeves under uniform
- Hair net in theatre area/beard net for bearded employees
- No scented creams/perfumes in theatre area